[GTALUG] Problem new virtual host

ac ac at main.me
Fri May 1 03:49:11 EDT 2020

hi,

please tell me if roissystudiotest.ca is the 'real' domain name?

It is not registered...[1]

and, 'ping' is for an IP number, nothing to do with a domain name...

when you use 'ping' and you ping domain.name then, your system does a
dns lookup, to first find IP number for domain.name - and then 'pings'
that ip number...

so, 'ping' is not useful for apache/web issues - except maybe to see if
a domain host resolves and accepts icmp...

[1]
host www.roissystudiotest.ca
Host www.roissystudiotest.ca not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

whois roissystudiotest.ca
Not found: roissystudiotest.ca
%
% Use of CIRA's WHOIS service is governed by the Terms of Use in its
Legal % Notice, available at http://www.cira.ca/legal-notice/?lang=en
%
% (c) 2020 Canadian Internet Registration Authority,
(http://www.cira.ca/)