[GTALUG] téléconferencing options, was GTALUG: COVID-19 Impact

Thu Mar 26 18:28:42 EDT 2020

Hey Znoteer,

Do you have a rough estimate how much CPU bigbluebutton was using during
the conference and for how many people?

So far I've been inclining to spin up a VM with 4-8 dedicated CPUs that
should give some extra headroom for our average meeting size, and have
Zoom as a backup.
My only problem with zoom is that it requires to install proprietary
client, which I might not work on every linux distro  and not everyone
might everyone will agree to use.

We were planning to have a Q&A session, we don't need video recording
feature as we don't record Q&A as a matter of preference.

I also opened a pool on which video conferencing solution we should use
for the next meeting -- https://mastodon.social/@gtalug/103886518041900393

I was convinced to try out Jitsi following this thread --
https://octodon.social/@cwebber/103811788098843117

I like Jitsi because:
* Fully open-source
* Doesn't require browser plugins
* easy to set up with let's encrypt
* I already wrote some ansible scripts that help me create working
servers quickly

I don't like Jitsi:
* iOS app is a bit confusing
* I had some issues with video-bridge and nginx fighting over https port
on the server

For our executive meeting of 5 people having video calls at the same
time  Jitsi was using 60% of CPU on the smallest instance, probably due
to all of the encryption going on. We were using the smallest hetzner
instance available 1vcpu/2GB ram in Finland and I don't think that we've
had excessive lag there.

For the main meeting I'm planning to use one of the linode servers with
dedicated CPUs based in Toronto.

Alex.