[GTALUG] Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 laptop has mono sound only?

Ken Heard ken at heard.name
Thu Mar 19 06:42:28 EDT 2020

I think that this particular laptop has mono sound.  I have been using
it temporarily to stream content by HDMI to a LG HD monitor and then by
fibre optical cable to a NED D3020 V2 hybrid amplifier and finally to a
pair of bass reflect speakers.  Unfortunately sound comes out of only
one speaker.

After extensive tests I have determined to my satisfaction that the
problem is in the laptop.  I can test the two speakers built in the
laptop separately, but I have no way of knowing whether the sound so
produced is mono or stereo.  I could find no specs for this laptop with
details about the sound card.

Lack of such specs indicates to me that Acer does not want people to
know that this laptop is mono only. Is mono sound the norm for low
market laptops such as this one and notebooks?

Ken Heard