[GTALUG] "Dollars to Donuts" WAS: Microsoft Brings Defender Antivirus for Linux ...

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:19:52 EST 2020

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 08:46, ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 07:24:03 -0500
> Don Tai <dontai.canada at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you really need AV on linux? Last time i tried to hack any linux
> > system with hacker software such as Metasploit I found Linux
> > extremely robust, with very few vulnerabilities and exploits, all of
> > which I could not get to work.
> > I don't trust MS at all, and would not trust them enough to install
> > this AV. Am I too suspicious?
> > Don
> >
> Nope, imho you are not suspicious enough...
> and pe on Linux is very real, normal users do hectic things, like open
> attachments from their email accounts, they visit websites allowing java
> and do all sorts of things some of us would not even think of doing.
> So, they probably do need some sort of AV, as exploiting their user
> accounts can probably be done by one of my children (having to actually
> say children instead of "kids" is crazy by itself...//k1Ddi3S)
> I am not a gambling person but I would bet dollars to doughnuts
> that their AV is not going to be fully open source and free.
> That said, I am a paranoid person - what I lack in gambling addiction I
> fully make up for in paranoia.
> So, yeah, no. Not suspicious enough, imnsho :)

The expression "bet dollars to donuts" is meant to indicate "I would
bet something expensive against something inexpensive," or "I am very
sure of the outcome."

One slight problem: some time in the past couple years, the value of
donuts exceeded that of the dollar (and I'm going by Canada's most
ubiquitous and cheapest donut chain, Tim Hortons).

Just saying: that expression needs to die.

(Yes, I'm being an ass.  But it's also kind of funny.)

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com