[GTALUG] Windows Terminal: Everything you need to know now - TechRepublic

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Tue Jun 9 20:45:50 EDT 2020

On 2020-06-09 07:27 PM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> I still miss VMS's file versioning; edit FILE.TXT;1 and you'd get a
> new file FILE.TXT;2 appear as well. Opening FILE.TXT would always open
> the most recent version. So very simple and solid.

I also remember the keystroke playback, after a crash.  One day I was
working on a text document, when the system crashed.  After it came back
up, I watched as it repeated my keystrokes!  There were also the gold
keys in the text editor.  Incidentally, on one occasion, I was able to
get into a co-workers account and add a logout command to his login
script. ;-)

BTW, when I was taking Fortran (Actually WATFIV.  I still have the text
"WATFIV: structured programming and problem solving" by D. M. Etter on
my book shelf.) at Ryerson, I did my homework on the VAX. I was taking
it at night school.  Rather than trying to find a free working terminal,
I'd go home and dial into the VAX.  I was using Procomm Plus on an XT
clone and had to dial a gateway, which would connect me to the IBM
mainframe at Ryerson.