[GTALUG] Windows Terminal: Everything you need to know now - TechRepublic

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jun 9 12:18:48 EDT 2020

| From: James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| While not strictly Linux, this provides a choice of command prompts, including
| Linux shells.  It's also more configurable than the usual Windows terminals.
|
| Now, all  it needs is a VAX/VMS shell. ;-)
|
| https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-terminal-everything-you-need-to-know-now/?ftag=TRE684d531&bhid=12825460&mid=12870752&cid=712355268

Thanks for the pointer.

What a horribly intricate terminal program.

The original Windows "cmd.exe" terminal was terrible.  You could only
size it to certain official sizes, and not on the fly.

The Windows terminal for powershell.exe seems quite serviceable.  I
admit that my use has been limited so I might not have noticed
important deficits.

Based on my reading of that article, the new Windows terminal has a
lot of feature, mostly bric-a-brac.  And to configure it, sometimes
you have to edit JSON.  Wow.

Somehow the Windows folks haven't absorved the philosophy of UNIX.
But then again, neither have enough Linux folks.  Heck, even the BSD
folks didn't get it:

<http://harmful.cat-v.org/cat-v/>

(That site is even named after Pike's USENIX talk on the subject.)