[GTALUG] SpaceX Sent NASA Astronauts Into Orbit Using Linux

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Jun 8 05:44:39 EDT 2020

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, Slackrat via talk wrote:

> James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> writes:
>
>> https://futurism.com/the-byte/spacex-nasa-astronauts-linux
>
> Well Bully for Elon Musk. That's a truly momentous achievement.

Linux has been going in to space for a while now.  This article is from
2013 but it notes that RHEL/CentOS had already been used on the ISS before
that.

https://www.silicon.co.uk/workspace/international-space-station-linux-abandons-windows-for-linux-debian-115869

And this LJ article notes that the European Space Agency was already
planning to use Linux in 1999.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3024

My memory told me this was so but it took a little digging to find a
reference.

The first ATV launched in 2008 but I suspect Linux got in to space earlier
than that in experiments.

Rob