[GTALUG] Continuing Printer Woes

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Jun 5 10:00:07 EDT 2020

| From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| But … they're inside your router's firewall? Sure, they dial out for updates
| sometimes, but what doesn't?

Depending on a single firewall isn't considered good form.
Each machine should be hardened too.  Otherwise your network is
crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.

This matters less in simple home networks.  But it is still a good idea if
some of your other devices have security you cannot trust (eg. smart
phones with apps that have some chance of being evil).  Windows 10 and
most Linux distros have some hardening on each node.  I don't know or
trust printers.

I don't remember the details, but we know that an HP Printer in
Saddam's Iraq was secretly working for the NSA.