[GTALUG] BSDCan 2020 this week

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:42:23 EDT 2020

https://www.bsdcan.org/2020/

The BSD folk are holding their annual conference that is normally in Ottawa
this week via video conferencing.

Talks are on Friday and Saturday, tutorials on Wednesday and Thursday.

Some of the sessions are mighty specific to particular flavours of BSD, but
there is doubtless some material that will be of interest to us.  Some
highlights include...

- There's a session on "homelabs" which is about the concept of building a
stack of servers at home for running experiments.  A lot of the hardware
issues will be pretty platform independent.

- Warner Losh is doing a piece on the History of Unix, which is likely
quite interesting.

- Toronto local Andrew Cagney is doing a talk on Libreswan which I am
pretty sure has some developers on this list :-)

And we have had well-received talks from Jim Mercer at GTALUG where he
explained merits of some of the differing development practices on FreeBSD;
there are definitely useful things to be learned from the BSD folk.