[GTALUG] web hosting question

ac ac at main.me
Thu Jul 30 03:48:52 EDT 2020

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:09:34 -0500
o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:43 AM Alvin Starr via talk
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > On 7/29/20 12:19 PM, Don Tai via talk wrote:
> > > A friend on here uses Planethoster, a Canuck company based in
> > > Montreal but also have servers in France. He has had good
> > > experiences so far, but you might need to request English once in
> > > a while. Why do you want to have a Canuck host provider? This
> > > severely limits your choices of host provider. I use A2 in
> > > Michigan.
> > The US hosting rules are such that the EU does not allow things like
> > medical and certain kinds of personal data to reside in the US.
> > Currently Canada is still considered safe byt the EU.
> > Not completely sure how that relates to US companies that have
> > Canadian centers.
> >

> I will admit to being more than somewhat paranoid over bureaucratic
> oversight and intervention. OUr Canuckistani versions are problematic
> enough so I'd rather not add even more 'fun'.

As I am a registrar, have all my own software, etc my needs are: 'bare metal' and
quality Internet connectivity (so, cabinets/racks and network incl ddos, in/egress, etc)

I used to be a client @ esecuredata.com (Vancouver) for over 15 years but have
recently moved everything to Germany (EU) as the quality is a lot
higher, new equipment and new hardware schedules, hw maintenance plans, etc.

So, I guess 'web hosting' and hosting in general depends on what you
need, as in do you need working email relay and do you need 100TB+
ddos protection and do you need 500 1U servers or 1 x 1U or do you just
need 10% of 1x1U - do you have/need your own DNS servers (and how many)
as this may also mean that you need 'hosting' on three or four+
different networks and all over the planet. Sometimes I also require my
own PIX or other Cisco hw in the same cabinet(s) - some of my clients
have 8 or more DNS servers in many different datacenters some use
shared dns, etc etc

What I have learned in the last 30+ odd years on the Internet is that
everyone has different needs and expectations and that there is
sometime a huge disparity in what people think they need and what they
actually need - and that a lot of $$$ can actually be saved with some
planning, but what I have also learned is that I learn new stuff every
day

and only when you know that you know everything do you realize how
much you still need to know :)