[GTALUG] New Build Computer?

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Sat Jul 25 21:06:27 EDT 2020

So in the end I went with a Ryzen 3700X CPU and the Asus Prime X570-Pro
motherboard, adding in an NVMe drive as well for my boot/root device.  The
results have been mixed.

The Good News: When I boot the Arch Linux installation image from a flash
               drive, then chroot into my old root filesystem, it all seems
	       to run smoothly (within the limitations of the chroot).
	       Nice and zippy, with good heat monitoring hardware and so
	       on.

The Bad News:  The Asus BIOS will not recognize any of the SATA drives or
               the NVMe drive as bootable.  I don't know why, since the
	       BIOS does see all the drives otherwise.  After some google
	       search, I tried enabling CSM, which at least got me as far
	       as seeing the other drives in the boot priority list, but,
	       again, none are bootable.  My current guess is that it's the
	       Secure Boot option, which was enabled by default, and which
	       I have no idea how to turn off.  But maybe it's something
	       else -- after putting an EFI partition on the NVMe drive
	       and installing the kernel, I did use efibootmgr from inside
	       the chroot to try to write the efivars that would select
	       that NVMe drive to boot from, but efibootmgr --verbose
	       seemed to indicate that the option was written to the USB
	       flash drive instead ... ?

Any, and all, suggestions welcome.  I don't have any experience with the
Secure Boot option, if that might be the culprit.

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		   (416)-946-3170 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42