[GTALUG] New Build Computer?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 20 12:01:38 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 12:42:26PM -0400, Peter King via talk wrote:
> Interesting -- that's pretty much exactly the symptoms I had: if it
> actually made it past the POST, it booted and ran with no problems,
> but it only did that about one in twelve attempts.

Makes me wonder if the south bridge or some of the circuitry connected
to it is going bad.

I should probably put the 32GB into the 4 empty sockets on my machine
(same motherboard, just the 3960X instead of 3920).  Then I would
have 64GB.

> I expect to have some high-end components that I can't use in the near
> future...
>
> At the moment I'm looking at the AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9GHz eight-core /
> sixteen-thread CPU, the Asus Prime X570-Pro AM4 ATX motherboard, and
> the Corsair LPX Vengeance 4x16G = 64G total.  With any luck I can just
> migrate my audio card (Asus Xonar STX Essence), bluray drive, power
> supply, and perhaps even my CoolerMaster case.  I haven't decided
> whether to use the old video card or try for one that will drive
> UHD 4K resolution -- the latter requiring a new monitor, too.  Might
> be better just to start with the new equipment and see how easy or
> hard it is to get Arch up and running, then decide about the video.

Well you can always upgrade the video card later if needed.

Audio card should not be a problem to move over as should the bluray
drive.  Any recent power supply should have ATX 24 pin power and 8 pin
12V power which should do just fine.  And the case should be fine too,
given both would be standard ATX boards.

The only component I had trouble getting was the motherboard.
Canada computers was out, so I ordered from newegg.ca, and then they
canceled the order given they apparently had the inventory count wrong,
so I ordered from isanek.com and next day got a message that the box
had got crushed in the warehouse so they weren't shipping it, so then I
made another order from newegg.ca who had apparently got more in stock,
and they finally shipped it a couple of days later, after which it took
10 days to ship from california.  Sheesh.

--
Len Sorensen