[GTALUG] New Build Computer?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 15 14:48:16 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 01:02:24PM -0400, Peter King via talk wrote:
> My main computer is in the shop (it won't pass a POST) and it looks like
> the motherboard may be the culprit.  The last computers I had built were
> put together very well but the places where they were done no longer exist.
>
> Suggestions/recommendations for places that build computers to custom specs
> with high build quality?  And, for that matter, what a future-proof solid
> set of specs looks like these days?  (This is to replace a 12-core i7 box
> with 32GB RAM and some 10TB of storage.)  Thanks!

So by 12 core do you actually mean 12 tread (ie 6 core with
hyperthreading) I would think?

I just replaced the MB, cpu and ram in my father's machine because it
was only successfully starting up about 10% of the time which was getting
quite annoying, and it was about 6 or 7 years old.

It went from a core i7 (4 core 8 thread) with 32GB ram and a pair of
120GB SSDs in RAID1 to a Ryzen 5 3600 (6 core 12 thread) with 32GB ram
and a 1TB NVME M.2 drive.  Of course for current AMD chips that's not a
high end CPU and they have plenty of much more powerful chips if there
is actually a need for that.

I put in an Asus Prime X570-Pro motherboard, The Ryzen 5 3600 CPU,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666Mhz, and a Corsair Force
MP600 1TB NVMe drive.  Decent upgrade and not crazy expensive.

Ryzen 7 chips with 8 core/16 thread or ryzen 9 with 12 core/24 thread
are not that much more expensive for those with needs for that many CPUs.

The case, power supply, bluray drive and video card didn't need to
be changed.

--
Len Sorensen