[GTALUG] OpenWRT Upgrade

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:32:30 EDT 2020

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 12:17, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2020-07-10 12:13 PM, Val Kulkov via talk wrote:
> > I forgot to add that if enabling wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries does
> > cause interoperability issues on a Wi-Fi network, then one can create
> > a guest VLAN with this parameter disabled, and enable this parameter
> > on a secure non-guest VLAN. This is not difficult to achieve with
> > OpenWrt, and I will be happy to provide details in a separate thread
> > if there is some interest.
> >

> Guest VLAN???  Perhaps you meant Guest SSID.  WPA has nothing to do with
> VLANs.

You set up a guest VLAN on your OpenWrt device and then associate your
guest SSID with that VLAN. If you have multiple Wi-Fi access points, they
must all support 802.1q VLANs and be configured to communicate with the
main router on the main VLAN and on the guest VLAN in order to use DHCP,
DNS, routing and other services provided by the main router.

Recent OpenWrt releases also support virtual SSIDs, but I have not tried
them and cannot comment on their usefulness.

See this guide for example, it is a little outdated but still useful:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/guestwifi/guest-wlan