[GTALUG] OpenWRT Upgrade

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Jul 10 08:34:14 EDT 2020

| From: David Collier-Brown via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I'm still looking for a scheme that doesn't fail an evil-twin attack (;-))
|
| I have an apparent neighbor who uses my connection. The use I don't mind much,
| the degree to which my work is public I do  mind.

Evil Twin is just a variant of man-in-the-middle, right?  An "active",
rather than "passive" MITM.

Surely WPA is secure against MITM, including active MITM.

All one needs to prevent MITM is a competent protocol and at least one
end authenticated.  Your strong-enough password provides such
authentication.

(WPS does or did have a weakness if I remember correctly.  My brute
force solution has been to disable WPS.  There may have been fixes.)

Ohh.  KRACK.  WPA2 isn't competent.  I forgot.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRACK>