[GTALUG] security threats of Open Source

Don Tai dontai.canada at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 19:00:24 EST 2020

I regularly browse with javascript turned off. I use NoScript. While it is
a hassle, I whitelist trusted sites, but refuse script from 3d party sites.
There is a bit of setup to do to whitelist sites. Scripts have long been
abused. Browsing without js restores a bit of honesty in web pages, as a
lot of the razzle dazzle crap code is not executed. I seek information more
than eye candy. Cross-site scripting risk is near eliminated, making web
browsing safer. You can also see which sites have added a whole lot of crap
onto their script code and which 3d party sites they employ. This will
colour your selection of credible web sites.

As well I intermix browsers as well as use Tor.

I encourage you to try it. Tilt the advantage to the user with the NoScript
plugin.