[GTALUG] ThinkPads on special

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jan 23 10:55:32 EST 2020

| From: Nicholas Krause via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Probably not after reading the article its just a better binned chip as the
| others can hit 35 watts but are binned for 45.

The part that Asus has exclusively is 35w vs 45w for the best part
Lenovo can get, with otherwise identical specs.  (There may be a hitch
that we don't know.)  It doesn't matter how that advantage was
achieved (binning or magic dust).

If I were Lenovo, trying to compete with Asus, I would say that the
AMD mobile game is rigged in Asus' favour and I'd just not enter that game.
Why give credence to AMD as a notebook processor when you know you
will lose?

In reality, it isn't a simple one-dimensional decision.

The most natural response for Lenovo might be to continue pushing
low-end models with AMD mobile processors.  It's a good fit and Asus'
advantage doesn't come into play.

Yes, there is a price to be paid for playing favourites with your
customers.  Especially when you need them more than they need you.