[GTALUG] ThinkPads on special

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jan 22 18:18:00 EST 2020

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 07:38:35AM -0500, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
| > This seems to be a yearly event: RedFlagDeals points out that
| > ThinkPads are on special (many 45% off).  Given their popularity on
| > this list and their known compatibility with Linux, I hope it's okay
| > to post this:
| >
| > https://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/computers-electronics/lenovo-up-to-50-of-select-pcs-extra-15-off-monitors-with-desktop-purchase/

There are other tricks to try when ordering from Lenovo.

- rakuten.ca currently gives you 9% rebate on all Lenovo purchases.
  You join up with rakuten.ca and then visit lenovo through a rakuten
  link.  Through some cookie magic, you qualify for a rebate.
  Usually this does not affect other discounts.

- Sometimes the EPP program has better deals.  RFD threads sometimes
  explain how to get EPP discount.

- Lenovo has a business website that sometimes gets you better prices.
  Lenovo for Small Business or Lenovo Pro.  Seems easy to qualify for.  I
  registered late last year but I don't remember the process.

| I picked up a T590 for someone at about 50% off a few weeks ago.

I feel that it is easy to get 50% off if you have modest patience.  Even
so, it feels too expensive.

|  It sure
| is a lot thinner and lighter than my W530 and perhaps a tiny bit faster.
| No more swappable battery, no optical drive, but screen and battery life
| is a lot better and it has a number pad and a much better quality screen.

The T590 is probably harder to repair and upgrade, but I don't know that
for sure.

I was not happy with my T530's FullHD screen.  It really let down the
otherwise very good notebook.

The T540's processors were better than the T53's0.  After that,
improvement was more gradual.

I still haven't mastered the Nvidia / Intel division of labour.  I'm glad
my T530 had no Nvidia GPU.  I still have a struggle ahead with my XPS 15.
Without a proprietary driver, the Nvidia GPU burns power even when not
used.  When nouveau (the open source driver) looks at my GPU, it locks up
the system (a kernel parameter can prevent it looking and locking).