[GTALUG] server question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 23:00:51 EST 2020

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 5:09 PM Znoteer via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:n

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 04:47:35PM -0600, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> > Greetings
> >
> > Can't find any somewhat current information (less than 2 years old) on
> > what kind of an address to use on a server where its only for use by
> > lan members - - - NOT for outside use.
> >
> > What I'm finding is at best 5 or 6 years old and then there is the
> > stuff that's more like 10 or more years old. Debian has moved from
> > iptables to nftables as of the latest release of stable (Buster or 10)
> > and I haven't been able to find anything.
>
> Maybe try wiki.debian.org.  For example, https://wiki.debian.org/nftables.

Had looked at that one - - - - didn't find it very informative.
Suggested the use of firewalld yet that isn't what was actually part of the
system. It may be possible that ufw will also work as a 'kinder' front end
to nftables just as it did for iptables. Found a few posts that suggest that
that is possible but little concrete evidence. Therefore the questions.

Thanks