[GTALUG] Fedora user? Try "sudo dnf autoremove"

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jan 21 01:27:16 EST 2020

I've got a bunch of machines that I've updated to Fedora 31 from a
previous version using dnf:
 <https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/dnf-system-upgrade/>

On several machines I get a scary notification error message every time I
boot.
	Software Updates Failed

	Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.fwupd:
	Timeout was reached

This is a known bug with fwupd that has been fixed.  But it seems to not
be fixed enough.  There is a work-around:

	sudo dnf autoremove

That not only fixes/avoids the bug, but on my systems gets rid of a lot of
packages that I didn't install and are no longer needed.