[GTALUG] End of independent web browsers

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Tue Jan 14 23:26:27 EST 2020

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 21:59:42 -0500
Christopher Browne via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> The material takes somewhat extreme position, but it's curious that there
> are only 3 "content decryption modules" out there, Widevine (Google),
> Fairplay (Apple) and PlayReady (Microsoft), all of the vendors having
> expressed some reluctance to license to small fry.  (Apple being
> uninterested in sublicensing.)

Christopher,

   I worked for fifteen months at Christie Digital on one of their new digital movie projectors.  One critical design requirement was that the movie feed from the internet was to be decrypted inside a protected enclosure.  The projector operator was to have no access to a functional version of the movie other than by watching the screen.  I use Google Chrome to watch YouTube and Netflix.  I try to use Firefox for everything else.   I cannot see people spending big bucks to produce Free Movies as per the GPL.

   If somebody wants to communicate with the outside world, they need to use public domain tools like HTML.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
jhowardgibson at gmail.com