[GTALUG] Any experience with "Linux on Windows"?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 14 23:18:00 EST 2020

Here are different ways (chronologically encounted) to get "Linux"
environment in Windows:

1. Busybox for Windows
    - it's single binary, available in x32 and x64 version.
    - has "ncat", but no "ssh".

2. Cygwin
    - full Linux utilities (like sed, awk, bash, etc) compiled on
      Windows.
    - I don't use this anymore because I found better solutions (see
      below).

3. Git Bash for Windows
    - part of Git for Windows.
    - has "ssh", but no "ncat".

4. WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux)
    - currently Ubuntu 18.04 from Windows Store.  This my main terminal
      at work.
    - has full command-line Ubuntu environment, but slightly slimmed
      down to make sense for Windows OS.
    - can run Windows programs, if you're on Windows filesystem.  Very
      convenient.
    - can run Linux program anywhere.

5. Hyper-V
    - unlike VirtualBox or VMware, you can't mount "shared directory".
      But, you can use scp or WinSCP to/from WSL.  I don't use
      VirtualBox or VMware anymore.
--
William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>