[GTALUG] Rust intro

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 17:16:31 EST 2020

On 1/2/20 1:57 PM, David Mason wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2020, 11:22 AM -0500, Nicholas Krause <xerofoify at gmail.com>,
> wrote:
>> Thanks for letting me know. Don't know if it will be solved as that's
>> a problem in my view.
>
> I was going to say that you could implement a garbage collector in/for
> Rust, but first I checked if there was a crate for one, and sure
> enough, there is: https://github.com/Manishearth/rust-gc/ for those
> occasions when you really need a garbage collector. It’s in
> development, but looks pretty usable.
>
> ../Dave
This isn't a issue that can be solved by a garbage collector which are
notoriously for having
these leaks but something like a unsafe mode with something similar to
weak_ptr in C++.

Not sure what the unsafe Rust implementation would would do but its a
outstanding
issue if you assume that memory has a non circular owner,

Nick