[GTALUG] ot: perhaps, cell phone batteries?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Fri Feb 28 11:59:19 EST 2020

Hi James, In context below...
By the way, do Harry Potter fans who meet you ask about Theodore?

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020, James Knott via talk wrote:

> Some are barely visible even for those with good eyesight.  I saw one a
> while ago, which was dark blue on black!Â
I am getting a headache just picturing that combination!

  There are some people creating
> websites who are too incompetent to do it.

Some of those people work for Google, but never mind.

> Then there are those with so much crap going on that you can't find what you
> want.

Which is one of the things that make me a bit loopy about the entire
accessibility concept.
In general  universal web design is, or was, about  ease and simplicity.
The whole internet super highway analogy being rather a fine one.  You
want to get where you are going without
stuff in the street, signs that lead nowhere,  and random flashing
confusing items...and such is true no matter how you interact with  that
site.  Unfortunately,  with this being also true for some in the access
business, people think  inclusion should start with a body focus,  not  a
function focus.  Add those who insist that a shared body label equals a
shared accommodation, and little gets done.
You have people needing to  create their sites  without a a great deal of
knowledge, using a machine that likely scares them  rather allot.  so they
reach for an instant design tool which is often more about looking pretty
then accomplishing a goal..then there is JavaScript, an entire rant all by
itself.
Still, I often feel things might be far more inclusive if the question was
less about  how a person  experiencing sight loss, or using a voice
browser or an augmented keyboard would do the job, after all given how
little  the general public encounters those concepts with computers, a
discussion sort of stalls on the..what?  you can't use a computer if
you..fill in the blank.
Instead, speaking personally I would  rather t he discussion start with
okay, your client lives in rural Canada with little bondage for their
internet, so how fast will your page load for them, and can they find your
services easily? or, okay your client has an older laptop, meaning no
mouse , just a keyboard.  what happens if they hit entre on this link?
Creating  lots of doors to the same structure just sense  more inclusive
to me, no matter what the person is using to reach said site in the first
place.

I am presently having a discussion with my bank about their on line
platform, which has a keyboard functional  option to register, but a
javascripted harmless button that  does not work from the keyboard if one
wants to log in, which in turn leads to a blank page with no active links
to use at all.
Kare