[GTALUG] + Raspberry Pi's Raspbian now supports Orca screen reader.

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Feb 27 14:51:10 EST 2020

Hi Karen,

The best resource I know in the GTA for this kind of query is the Inclusive
Design Research Centre at OCAD University. I don't have contacts (I worked
with one of the professors there) but know that they have plenty of
experience with Linux and screen readers. Just not sure if they've worked
with the Pi.

HTH,

- Evan

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 14:31, Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Any pi users here able to  advise about this setup?
> My concern is what applications might not work,  as a deciding factor to
> bother.
> Conversation on a list focused on adaptive technology   and the pi,  is
> not  yielding much  information  on, so thought I might ask here instead.
>

> The Raspberry Pi team reached out to an accessibility charity known as
> AbilityNet to help evaluate the Raspberry Pi desktop environment for
> improvements. Raspbian now supports Orca screen reader. Orca is compatible
> with
> most applications that use GTK or Qt toolkits. Other toolkits aren't
> compatible
> and may or may not work. You can also find a new pixel doubling feature in
> the
> Raspberry Pi Configuration menu, improving screen visibility for visually
> impaired persons.
>

> https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspbian-buster-gets-new-features-in-big-update
>

>   thoughts?
> Karen