[GTALUG] Adding all users to the "disk" group: bad idea, or terrible idea?

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Fri Feb 21 12:17:26 EST 2020

On Feb 21, 2020, 10:14 AM -0500, mwilson--- via talk <talk at gtalug.org>, wrote:
> Would it be as simple to change the permissions on the particular drive,
> and then just let the users have at it?
>
> eg. sudo chmod a+rw /dev/mmcblk0

To be safe, you would have to disallow mounting of filesystems on that drive (or any other drive with the same media) because someone could make a filesystem on that media, create a SUID program in that filesystem (through raw I/O), mount the filesystem, and then run the SUID program. If I recall, there is a flag you can set on mount that prevents running of SUID programs on the filesystem…. that would also suffice.

../Dave