[GTALUG] Adding all users to the "disk" group: bad idea, or terrible idea?

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Mon Feb 17 16:42:12 EST 2020

The developer seems to be insisting on an answer, rather than
a need.  The need is to allow easy writing when appropriate.

Consider a wrapper script that uses sudo to call the actual command.

And then set sudoers(5) to allow appropriate people to run the command
as root without a password.

That means that it's easy for the user, and access to the disk
devices is only provided through the (presumably) tested and
well-functioning command.

Remember: you can solve any problem in computer science with
another level of indirection.

I suspect that there's a way via udev or dbus to accomplish the
appropriate thing.  But I'm not smart enough for that.

Hope that helps!

John