[GTALUG] Adding all users to the "disk" group: bad idea, or terrible idea?

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 16:28:52 EST 2020

So I'm working with a developer making a simple cross-platform graphical
program to write Raspberry Pi OS images to SD card. This is meant for
beginners to use. The developer is adamant that their program doesn't
need to run under 'sudo' but that every user should be added to the disk
group instead.

This means that every user can write directly to system disk devices at
any time. The Debian-based systems I use don't add regular users to
"disk". Is it reasonable/common for regular users to be set up this way?

cheers

  Stewart $(export HAVE_ACCIDENTALLY_OVERWRITTEN_ROOT=1) Russell