[GTALUG] Intel GPU support for HDMI 2.0 (UltraHD)

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 13:09:27 EST 2020

On 2/11/20 9:39 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Nicholas Krause via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | Readability of text is what I was talking about not just color contrast.
>
> OK.  Most but not all TV sets are fine for this.  I would not trust
> the RGBW displays but I haven't tried them.
>
> Also: go for IPS or VBA technology.
>
> I think that I mentioned this in my Lightning Talk.
>
> | A lot of people assume that reading text is the same on all monitors,
> | it isn't and a lot of the pro level displays are better at this.
>
> "pro level" sounds like a marketing term.  Perhaps you mean: very
> expensive, aimed at professional _____.  Photographers?
> Videographers? "Prosumers"?  Traders?  Programmers?  Engineers?
> Architects?
When I mean pro level I mean anything that can be used professionally
or is good enough. You can find budget versions of these monitors at
below $500 for 27 inches these days. The higher end ones just have
better color depth and other things. If you shop around you can possibly
find it cheaper used or on sale and I would doubt that the ones above
budget level get much better for text. However for text they would be
read then a consumer display.

> | Your free
> | to disagree that matters. However in my view it does help.
>
> Opinions can be refined by research.  That's what I've tried to
> contribute to, on this list and my talk.
>
> | In addition I was also hinting at how well dpi is implemented at a higher
> | resolution, which does matter. Scaling for a higher resolution in text
> | is very much dependent on this. For whatever reason better dpi scaling
> | and text scaling almost always goes hand in hand with better color contrast.
>
> If you are letting your monitor do scaling you are doing it wrong.
> You should let your computer do that.
>
> One exception: if a computer only does 1920x1080, you can let a
> TV/monitor double the pixels in each dimension.  This is dumb in the
> long term but sometimes you need to do it for a short time (eg. to
> adjust firmware settings in a server).  (It's really annoying to not
> be able to see text during POST and the subsequent startup.)
Not actually, scaling is not what you think I mean. I don't
mean it scales well to fit the screen i.e. text is too small
but readability of text. This is where better dpi and text
settings come in. For example ereader displays are very
readable because of their high dpi to screen ratio and
good text contrast alongside other screen settings.

> Scaling TV or movies is an interesting problem since it extends into
> the 4th dimension (time).  You really don't want to get into that with
> a monitor.  In fact, you want to turn off any multi-frame processing
> that a TV does because it will add latency to the display.
>
> | My point is that most people focus on certain things like resolution
> | without all the details.
>
> True.  Again, this is why my talk was "what I've learned about
> UltraHD".  Actual experience is enlightening.  Reading specs is
> important but not sufficient.  Ergonomics is full of surprises.  One
> of them is: not everyone is the same.  That's why I tried to frame my
> talk as about me :-)
Of course the biggest problem with buying monitors these
days is its basically a case by case purchase.

Nick