[GTALUG] Intel GPU support for HDMI 2.0 (UltraHD)

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 10:19:01 EST 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 8:39 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: Nicholas Krause via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | Readability of text is what I was talking about not just color contrast.
>
> OK.  Most but not all TV sets are fine for this.  I would not trust
> the RGBW displays but I haven't tried them.
>
> Also: go for IPS or VBA technology.
>
> I think that I mentioned this in my Lightning Talk.
>
> | A lot of people assume that reading text is the same on all monitors,
> | it isn't and a lot of the pro level displays are better at this.
>
> "pro level" sounds like a marketing term.  Perhaps you mean: very
> expensive, aimed at professional _____.  Photographers?
> Videographers? "Prosumers"?  Traders?  Programmers?  Engineers?
> Architects?
>
> | Your free
> | to disagree that matters. However in my view it does help.
>
> Opinions can be refined by research.  That's what I've tried to
> contribute to, on this list and my talk.
>
> | In addition I was also hinting at how well dpi is implemented at a higher
> | resolution, which does matter. Scaling for a higher resolution in text
> | is very much dependent on this. For whatever reason better dpi scaling
> | and text scaling almost always goes hand in hand with better color contrast.
>
> If you are letting your monitor do scaling you are doing it wrong.
> You should let your computer do that.
>
> One exception: if a computer only does 1920x1080, you can let a
> TV/monitor double the pixels in each dimension.  This is dumb in the
> long term but sometimes you need to do it for a short time (eg. to
> adjust firmware settings in a server).  (It's really annoying to not
> be able to see text during POST and the subsequent startup.)
>
> Scaling TV or movies is an interesting problem since it extends into
> the 4th dimension (time).  You really don't want to get into that with
> a monitor.  In fact, you want to turn off any multi-frame processing
> that a TV does because it will add latency to the display.
>
> | My point is that most people focus on certain things like resolution
> | without all the details.
>
> True.  Again, this is why my talk was "what I've learned about
> UltraHD".  Actual experience is enlightening.  Reading specs is
> important but not sufficient.  Ergonomics is full of surprises.  One
> of them is: not everyone is the same.  That's why I tried to frame my
> talk as about me :-)
> ---

To Mr Hugh (hope I have that correct!)

Looked in my email fine and search doesn't return anything appropriate for
GTALug + lightening talk.

Would you be able to provide a link so that I might 'see' such?
(Distance makes personal attendance somewhat challenging!)

Regards