[GTALUG] Intel GPU support for HDMI 2.0 (UltraHD)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Feb 10 18:49:48 EST 2020

| From: Nicholas Krause via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| That makes sense. Through I would rather have a professional level
| monitor at 1080p then 4K.  Color depth, accuracy and text contrast
| matter a lot  more than resolution when it comes down to it through.
| And frankly 4K pro is a lot more expensive due to being cutting edge.
| And yes text contrast is important for programming or other contrast
| in forms of scaling/rendering text.

I don't agree.  I talked about this in my lightning talk at last
month's meeting.

It depends on you use case.  I program and read on my monitor.  I
don't game or do photo-editing or watch movies.

For my use case, resolution is quite useful whereas 8-bit is enough
colour depth (I don't really know about 6-bit displays with dithering
to simulate 8-bit).  Text contrast should not be a problem if the
display is bright enough (all desktops ought to be whereas some
notebooks might not be).  UltraHD TV sets (as opposed to monitors) are
dirt cheap.

My biggest surprise: 4:2:2 chroma subsampling is really a non-problem
for my uses.  Second biggest: 30Hz refresh isn't ideal but it is OK.

| I would make the same argument about keyboards as well in that
| I would rather have a mechanical keyboard rather than any laptop
| keyboard. And frankly a great keyboard is a very underrated
| similar to the above text issues for monitors.

I don't think that that is the same argument at all.

Ultra-thin notebooks are constrained to have thin keyboards.  ThinkPad
non-ultrabooks have fairly good keyboards.  Stand-alone keyboards give
you the most freedom.

On my desktop, I use a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX brown keys.
I like it but I could live with a non-mechanical keyboard.  It glows
green all the time because I don't have a driver for the stupid
lights.