[GTALUG] Intel GPU support for HDMI 2.0 (UltraHD)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Feb 10 10:44:07 EST 2020

On Sat, Feb 08, 2020 at 01:07:35PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> It seems that 7th gen and later Intel processors can support HDMI 2.0, but
> only with an external "LSPCON" (Level Shifter and Protocol CONverter)
> component on the motherboard.
>
> See
> <https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf>
>
> As I've mentioned before, going through DisplayPort also works and does
> not require a LSPCON.

I love how it mentions future generations won't need it.  Unfortunately
they mean future generations of the graphics core, not the CPU since
as far as I can find, the same problem applies to 8th and 9th gen CPUs
since the graphics core design hasn't changed.

I wonder if they will skip 2.0 and go to 2.1 when they finally get around
to updating that design.

--
Len Sorensen