[GTALUG] "dd" in Windows?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Dec 16 15:06:28 EST 2020

| From: William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| How do you write "image" file to USB stick in Windows 10?
|
| In Linux, I would do 'dd', but it has to be Windows.

This is tricky.  I can tell you what I think that I know.

Recent Fedora and Ubuntu .iso files can just be dded onto a USB stick and
result in a bootable USB stick.  Bootable either with UEFI or Legacy mode.
That's actually quite a trick.

Windows installation .iso images don't have this property.  I think they
would work when dded onto a CDROM or DVDROM, but
(1) I haven't tried it,
(2) I think that the image is too big anyway (it was 5.4GiB a year ago)

Other programs, like Rufus or Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, do a bunch
of transformations.  The result (I think) is a VFAT filesystem on the USB
stick.  The result is bootable.

Fedora has Fedora Media Writer.  I've never used it.  I
think that versions will run on Windows, Apple, and selected Linux
distros.
<https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/>

Ubuntu recommends Win32 Disk Imager for burning from Windows
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/