[GTALUG] information storage ideas

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 06:59:46 EST 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:14 PM Stewart C. Russell via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2020-12-14 1:24 p.m., o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> >
> > Almost wet myself when he started moaning about Fraktur - - - -
>
> And by that, I meant Sütterlinschrift — I couldn't remember the name,
> and now the more I think about it, it's a Kurrent variant, not Fraktur.

The individuals that used this script were not, by today's standards anyway,
highly educated likely having at most 6 years of formal education.
What is fascinating to me is that you could actually use OCR on both their
script and those that used the newer script forms - - - - the handwriting
was just that consistent. Unlike today a great hand was considered the
mark of an educated person.

> Though talking of Fraktur: Tesseract is amazingly good at recognizing
> Fraktur. Google got a lot of research cash to digitize old German
> municipal records.

Moving 250 to 400 years worth of records was far easier with usable tools.

As you mentioned in your talk - - - there is little support for other
typescripts.
That's too bad!!

I commented  on your reaction to Fraktur largely because in the past short
time I've heard Fraktur repeated described as 'unreadable' which is anything
but true.

Was an interesting talk - - - - thought the audience interaction was also quite
useful although much of that was not easy to understand - - - perhaps that
has changed subsequently?

Regards