[GTALUG] for multi-hop ssh/scp: option "ProxyJump"

ac ac at main.me
Sun Aug 30 07:38:48 EDT 2020

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 23:05:04 -0400
John Sellens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2020/08/29 09:20:35PM -0400, William Park via talk
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote: | We had to do it manually, one jump at a
> time, making note (on | paper) where we were each jump. :-)
> There's a reason why my shell prompt includes the fully-qualified
> hostname. (And userid, if it's not my normal one.)
> I've seen people colour code their xterms by hostname as well.
> If you're "clever", you can probably change your xterm title string
> as you go, so you window title could end up with a label like:
>    jumphost1 -> nexthop -> 3rdhop -> dbserver
> (e.g. xtitle from http://www.shelldorado.com/scripts/cmds/xtitle )

I have not really thought of also allocating different colours, so
simple, so obvious and that is such a cool add, thank you!
(guess who is right now busy playing with various colours :) )

you could also combine hops into different screens depending on
whether a hop is a hub, node, container, disposable, trip or whatever
(and also include that in .​bash_profile)
by adding -t and screen -dr pts-3  so I can have something like:
hop1 -> nexthop_19216810-74-p92-pts-2-fallback -> route7_ipv4-p22-pts-3 -> tripwire_ipv4 -> server1-etc-etc
(so the ssh can look something like - ssh -t nexthop screen -dr pts-3, if you
are using standard/normal screen of course) I usually add some of the
ipv4/6 (and sometimes where I use zebra even add the as/bgp/etc) so I can
instantly know where I am (or where I am supposed to be) - other useful
things some may consider adding is lag (or average lag) so that
you can even drop and connect different screens based on network (or you
can have timers/cron/whatever running the screen connections) -
depending on how much tinfoil you are wearing, of course :)

Andre