[GTALUG] Blockchain, the solution to nothing

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 10:45:21 EDT 2020

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020, 12:29 PM Christopher Browne via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> https://thecorrespondent.com/655/blockchain-the-amazing-solution-for-almost-nothing/86714927310-8f431cae
>
> I found it particularly hilarious when the writer of the article asked the
> maker of the childrens' aid app if he had noticed that the app didn't
> actually need blockchain at all.
>
> "That's right."
>
> But the punch line was even better...
>
> Isn't it strange that you won all these awards despite not really using
> blockchain?
>
> "We keep trying to tell people, but it doesn’t seem to stick. You’re
> calling me about it again now … ”

I like articles description of what a blockchain is.

A "decentralised consensus algorithm."

However it is such a huge power sink that the "whale" speculators were
locating in the US just south of the Quebec border in order to take
advantage of the best rates in North America.

A Blockchain RFP  now a part of Hydro Quebecs stratigic plan

https://www.mccarthy.ca/en/insights/blogs/canadian-energy-perspectives/canadian-power-key-developments-2019-trends-watch-2020-quebec-overview?utm_source=Mondaq&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=LinkedIn-integration

https://www.engadget.com/it-takes-an-estimated-seven-nuclear-plants-to-power-our-bitcoin-mining-212441059.html

--
> When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing it to the
> question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Russell

“Th’ newspaper does ivrything f’r us. It runs th’ polis foorce an’ th’
banks, commands th’ milishy, controls th’ ligislachure, baptizes th’ young,
marries th’ foolish, comforts th’ afflicted, afflicts th’ comfortable,
buries th’ dead an’ roasts thim aftherward.” F. P. Dunne
Russell