[GTALUG] MathML Support on the Internet

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:58:32 EDT 2020

On 8/17/20 5:27 PM, Christopher Browne via talk wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 17:15, Howard Gibson via talk <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>
>         I brought this up at our last meeting and we discussed it.
>
>         Officially, you can insert equations into your website using
>     MathML.  Unfortunately, Google Chrome does not support this, so it
>     does not work.  I uploaded my MathML page to my website, and you can
>     try it out.
>
>     http://rev/~howard/hgibson2/MathML.html
>

> A URL that seems to work better for those of us outside your network ;-)
> is this one:
> http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson/MathML.html
>
> I'll note that the browsers I had handy were Firefox and Chrome; I
> concur with your comments on the handling of the quadratic equation.
>
> Those results are not extraordinarily surprising.  The one I'd wonder
> about is Safari; I would assume it doesn't support it.
>
> There is an interesting list of browser support for MathML.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MathML
>
> Apparently, at one time Opera *did* support it.  The set of other
> browsers that do have support are largely Mozilla derivatives.  (e.g. -
> ones like Camino, Galeon, Netscape (which was where Mozilla came from)).
>
> The one other interesting one (in being "not like the others") is Amaya.
> https://www.w3.org/Amaya/    I'm quite surprised that they had a release
> as recently as 2012; I hadn't seen that one in YEARS!!! :-)
> --
> When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing it to the
> question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

I've managed to get in rendering in Chromium but not Chrome on version
84 which is the lastest chromium for Ubuntu. Thanks for mentioning
it through as its a pain to write certain math in a web browser.
The only nit is it seems that the Tex versions render better for
complex equations in terms of being similar to an actual textbook:
https://mdn.mozillademos.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/MathML_Project/MathML_Torture_Test$samples/MathML_Torture_Test?revision=1506691

If your trying to make it readable you may want to use something
that can render it in Tex like the mentioned MathJax if I recall
correctly.

Cheers,
Nick
--
Fundamentally an organism has conscious mental states if and only if
there is something that it is like to be that organism--something it is