[GTALUG] MathML Support on the Internet

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:27:22 EDT 2020

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 17:15, Howard Gibson via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

>    I brought this up at our last meeting and we discussed it.
>
>    Officially, you can insert equations into your website using MathML.
> Unfortunately, Google Chrome does not support this, so it does not work.  I
> uploaded my MathML page to my website, and you can try it out.
>
>    http://rev/~howard/hgibson2/MathML.html

A URL that seems to work better for those of us outside your network ;-) is
this one:
http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson/MathML.html

I'll note that the browsers I had handy were Firefox and Chrome; I concur
with your comments on the handling of the quadratic equation.

Those results are not extraordinarily surprising.  The one I'd wonder about
is Safari; I would assume it doesn't support it.

There is an interesting list of browser support for MathML.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MathML

Apparently, at one time Opera *did* support it.  The set of other browsers
that do have support are largely Mozilla derivatives.  (e.g. - ones like
Camino, Galeon, Netscape (which was where Mozilla came from)).

The one other interesting one (in being "not like the others") is Amaya.
https://www.w3.org/Amaya/    I'm quite surprised that they had a release as
recently as 2012; I hadn't seen that one in YEARS!!! :-)