[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 4 Desktop Kit

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 09:27:34 EDT 2020

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 9:11 PM Scott Sullivan via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 8/7/20 6:49 PM, Aruna Hewapathirane via talk wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I stumbled across this recently:
> > https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
> >
> > I can use some guidance and advice from folks who have experience
> > with Raspberry Pi's. What I read so far looks good but I have questions.
> >
> > If 'you' were to use a Raspberry Pi as a desktop replacement which one
> > would you recommend?
>
> Hello Aruna, I'll try to answer your questions in-line below.

Hello Scott thank you for taking the time.

> > Is there a major difference in response times between the 4Gb and 8Gb
> > models ?
>
> The amount of RAM does make a difference for performance. The software
> is able to keep more of the active data cached in RAM for faster access
> and more applications (or web browser tabs) can be kept open and
> actively used. As the ram is not upgradable, going for more RAM is
> advisable.

Oh-kay understood and makes sense. I will go with the 8Gb.

> > How hot does the unit become ? Does it require an add on fan shim ? Or
> > will work fine without one ?
>
> Rather Hot. There a lot options, including some very effective all
> aluminum cases that act as passive heat sinks.
>
> I recommend going through some of the reviews by ETAPRIME.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/c/ETAPRIME/search?query=heatsink

Hmm... thank's again.

> > How easy or difficult would it be to boot off an external hard disk as
> > compared
> > to the SD card that comes with the Pi ?
>
> Typically, the Pi does not come with an SD card or any accessories.
> Which is why you will often see is bundles with an SD card, case and
> power supply.
>
> But to answer your question. SD cards are the default way to boot. While
> support for USB boot was recently introduced. It may require you to
> update the firmware first, and doesn't look like it 'just works'.
> Caveat, I've not tried it myself yet.
>
> https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/boot-raspberry-pi-4-usb
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711_bootloader_config.md

So it has USB boot with the Pi 4 I just have to change the
FIRMWARE_RELEASE_STATUS value from "critical" to "stable."

> > Any other things to watch out for and be aware of before I purchase ?
> > Instead of buying
> > the kit would it be cheaper to buy each item separately from different
> > vendors ?
>
> I would certainly shop around. The case options are considerable, and
> getting either an aluminum case or one with a Fan is strongly recommended.
>
> - https://elmwoodelectronics.ca/collections/raspberry-pi
> - https://www.creatroninc.com/category/raspberry-pi/
> - https://www.buyapi.ca/

Alright I will shop around for a fan and aluminium case.

> That being said, I will give one further thing to consider.
>
> A Raspberry Pi 4 - 8GB is going to run you around $100 Canadian, +
> $30-50 for a good case, $15 for PSU, $30-80 for SD card or other
> storage. That's $200 or more. Well with in the lower ends of the used or
> refurbished desktop and laptops.
>
> - https://www.freegeektoronto.org/shop/
> - https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=7_158_1934&sort=3a
> - https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=710_374&sort=3a
>
> Can you tell us more about how you expect to use the computer?
> That would let us help narrow down your options more.

This is not for me. My uncle lives in Edmonton. He is in his late 70's and
getting on.
I visited him recently and he has an ancient desktop and my aunty has a
laptop. Both
run Windows 10. The modem+router is in their basement. The house has 3
levels. So
the wifi signal has to get through two floors for my uncle and one floor
for my aunty. Most
times things are extremely slow. I could run an ethernet cable from the
basement and wire
a direct connection but did not have the time to do that this time.

I have a couple of desktops lying around but Canada Post or Fedex or UPS
will be
very expensive if I was to ship them to Edmonton from Toronto and both my
uncle and aunt
are not technically savvy or inclined so even if I get it across someone
has to hook up and test
things before handing over to them.

This is when I started exploring possible alternatives. A Pi has a very
small form factor. Easily
packaged and can be sent through Canada Post. Or if I manage to save enough
to fly to Edmonton
carrying a Pi or two will not be a issue as compared to checking in two
desktops :-)

And since everything will be set to go all they have to do is plug in the
keyboard+mouse+monitor
or TV and things should just work ? I still have to run a ethernet cable
from the basement up
to his room and my aunt's laptop which has no fixed location. Most times
she uses it in the
kitchen or dining table.

Oh one more question, what can I do to increase the wifi signal from the
basement up 3 floors ?
I have very limited experience with modems and routers.

I am now considering replacing my desktop with a Pi since the 8Gb Dual
monitor version
seems capable of doing what I want it to do.

If there is anyone in Edmonton in the Castledowns area who has the
experience and a few minutes
to spare would it be possible to have a look at my uncle's basement and see
what would be the
best way to solve this ?

If I decide to get a Pi for myself it will mostly be for tinkering and
learning and compiling the Linux
kernel.

Thank you very much Scott for all the advice and guidance.

Aruna