[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 4 Desktop Kit

mwilson at Vex.Net mwilson at Vex.Net
Sat Aug 8 08:52:53 EDT 2020

> Hello,
> I stumbled across this recently:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
> I can use some guidance and advice from folks who have experience
> with Raspberry Pi's. What I read so far looks good but I have questions.
[ ... ]
> How hot does the unit become ? Does it require an add on fan shim ? Or
> will work fine without one ?

It occurred to me that I have some of the stuff to answer this.  A
thermocouple thermometer was reading 23.4degC ambient temperature this
morning.  I poked it into the 8GB Pi4B which had been running idle
overnight, and the air temperature in the case near the processor read
37degC.  A few minutes work with GIMP brought that slowly to 42.4degC.
That's with no fan, only the convection past the heatsink.  There's a hint
to start with.