[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 4 Desktop Kit

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Fri Aug 7 22:47:28 EDT 2020

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 18:49:37 -0400
Aruna Hewapathirane via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I stumbled across this recently:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
>
> I can use some guidance and advice from folks who have experience
> with Raspberry Pi's. What I read so far looks good but I have questions.
>
> If 'you' were to use a Raspberry Pi as a desktop replacement which one
> would you recommend?

Aruna,

   What do you want to accomplish?

   I have three computers that I use extensively.  I have a proper desktop with a fairly old motherboard which I have just upgraded this week from 8GB RAM to 24GB.  I have a fairly old Lenovo L440 laptop, which I have just upgraded from 4GB RAM to 10GB.  I have an Acer Extensa desktop.  The Extensa is a small desktop with what I assume is a laptop motherboard, which I have connected to my TV.  I use it primarily to watch YouTube, Netflix and CBC Gem.  It has 4GB RAM, and it seems to work fine.  My other two machines are running way better now with the extra RAM.  I think my laptop was getting into swap space, and it has stopped doing this, and I am very, very happy.  I am an abusive user, scattering all sorts of applications all over my virtual windows, and opening all sorts of interesting tabs in all my browers.  I like to play with Flight Gear when I am bored.

   I believe that Raspbery Pis are used a lot for video streaming on people's TVs.  This seems to be a manageable use of fairly low powered computers.  How hard are you going to run this thing.  I am not familiar with Raspberry Pis.  They are on my ToDo list.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
jhowardgibson at gmail.com