[GTALUG] Fwd: Looks like IBM is planning to eliminate RHEL

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Aug 6 13:42:41 EDT 2020

I hate top-posting.  But I'm doing it to make things clearer.

This is exactly what I got, and I find it very confusing.

At least in my MUA (alpine) it looks as if the last block of text (which I
know was written by Evan) is presented as original to Russell.  I'm sure
that this isn't Russell's intent, but it is the effect.

About the content:

- what's offlist?  Wasn't all this on-list?

- it's easy for a recipient to mistake an off-list reply with an on-list
  reply.  I always try to add [PRIVATE] at the start of the subject to
  make this stand out.  Alternatively, one could strip the [GTALUG], but
  that makes the threading less obvious.  This is a manual step and I
  sometimes forget.

- the current ferment in the US shows very clearly the cost of amplifying
  conspiracy theories credulously (or with malice).  It sure seems that
  debunking is much harder than bunking.

- The great thing about Linux distros is that none has much of a moat.  If
  RH goes rogue, there are plenty of other distros to choose from.

- Linux distros know that they don't have much of a moat so they tend not
  to do things that push users away.  Or only do so for a worthwhile
  reason.