[GTALUG] Laptop recommendations?

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Thu Apr 30 14:03:49 EDT 2020

On 2020-04-30 01:56 PM, Anthony de Boer via talk wrote:
> El Fontanero via talk wrote:
>> <In Palin's voice> Why, we'd 'a given our eye teeth for PCMCIA! In*my*
>> day...
> Back in the day a REAL card went 9 Edge First, and you'd best remember to
> dump out the chad hopper after punching your program.
>
> I think I still have a FORTRAN deck I did back when.

Here is a photo of a core memory plane that I have.  It's 4K bits and
came from a Collins B8500 computer.  There were 32 of these stacked in a
module and 4 modules in the memory chassis, for a total of 64 KB.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F0K1vDzT0HjrBDKySpQ8m91TPw2UDCsS

> [3] formats were never quite the same; who else remembers the story of
> how Apple ][ floppies were written and read based on 6502 clock cycles of
> the I/O loop

I recall that it wasn't compatible with anything else.