[GTALUG] Laptop recommendations?

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Thu Apr 30 11:31:49 EDT 2020

On 2020-04-30 10:56 AM, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
>     Does your USB floppy drive work?  I keep ordering these things and they work once or twice and then crap out.  The one I have now never worked.  They cost something like twelve bucks.  I am willing to pay more of something that works.

I had to find a floppy disk to test it with, but yes it still works.  As
soon as I put the floppy in the drive, the Device Notifier asked if I
wanted to open it.  I did and can see all the files on the floppy.

However, this isn't some cheap drive from the Internet.  It's actual IBM
gear that came with my first ThinkPad.  Back when I bought the ThinkPad,
from the IBM Warehouse in Markham, I had the choice of an internal
floppy drive or CD drive.  I went with the CD drive and external floppy
drive.  On the bottom it says "IBM Portable Diskette Drive" etc..  P/N
06P5223.  So, if you want something reliable, perhaps you could find one
of those.