[GTALUG] CIRA officially launches free DNS firewall for consumers | IT World Canada News

ac ac at main.me
Tue Apr 28 10:39:11 EDT 2020

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:02:39 -0400
Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net> wrote:
<snip snip>
> >> Sometimes nannies are good things.
> > yes, nannies are 'sometimes' good things, but for some people BAD
> > nannies are sometimes even better :)
> Are you thinking of the Nanny from Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls?

roflmao

> >> People without the wherewithal or interest in managing their own
> >> security likely are in need of a nanny.
> > again, dnssec already protects users, it just needs wider adoption,
> > which is the issue.. .as for "shared" domains like outlook.com -
> > abuse management costs will increase? - which is probably why
> > dnssec has never caught on, it is not "sexy" (like some nannies...)
> >
> I have had mixed luck with DNSSEC from the point of view of internal
> implementation and have fallen back to SEC-less.

it has always served me well enough and I have written some
implementation papers some years ago... I am sooo lazy I also wrote a
whole bunch of programs that does everything for me automagically.
so it just works and keeps on working (it also does the epp &
everything with the registry.. on some tld the epp/xml/whatever
to the registrar - if I am not the registrar)  - yep, I am ultimately
SUPER lazy...

> As a side story.
> DNS(bind) has been SO reliable over the years that people have not
> upgraded their software.
> A month or so ago a few customers had their DNS partly break because
> the old DNSSEC root keys were removed.
> The solution was to turn off DNSSEC till they were able to upgrade
> the software.
> >> I have a feeling your take is not a minority on this list.
> > ooh, warm & fuzzies to you too, I have a home *sigh*  :)
> >
> Ya. Safe at home some times feels like locked in trying to avoid the
> zombie apocalypse.

soon, very soon, we shall be released from captivity - at least your
geo is less restrictive than mine. mine has guns and no roses :)