[GTALUG] Data backup recommendations?

Stefan Kloppenborg stefan at kloppenborg.ca
Wed Apr 22 21:22:57 EDT 2020

I've been using duplicity for backups. I use the CLI, but I'm pretty sure there are GUI front ends available too.

For storage, I've been using Backblaze B2 for the last few years. It's supported by rclone, which duplicity uses for data transfer, so it's pretty easy to configure duplicity to work with Backblaze B2. At half a cent per GB per month, it's reasonably priced. My monthly bill comes up to a few dollars.

Backblaze B2 does have some access controls, but I encrypt my backups locally before sending them to the cloud. Duplicity works with GPG, so this is fairly straight forward to do too.