[GTALUG] IPv6 only WiFi hotspot

Scott Sullivan scott at revident.net
Fri Sep 27 23:57:25 EDT 2019

On 9/25/19 1:00 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2019-09-25 12:37 PM, Val Kulkov via talk wrote:
>> I found myself connected to an IPv6-only WiFi hotspot a couple of
>> weeks ago. In a small town in Greece.
>>
>> At first, I could not understand why I was getting DNS errors for so
>> many sites. Then it occurred to me to check my connection with
>> ifconfig, and voila: I had an IPv6 address, but no IPv4.

A network colleague of tipped me off an a browser extension that shows
you at a glance how much of a site your getting via IPv4 vs IPv6.

IPvFoo

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ipvfoo-pmarks/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ipvfoo/ecanpcehffngcegjmadlcijfolapggal

Throwing out there for those that are interested, and may find
themselves is such situations as Val mentions here.

--
Scott Sullivan