[GTALUG] 480GB SSD for $60?

Don Tai dontai.canada at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 12:05:23 EDT 2019

Reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-NS100-Solid-State-Drive-480GB/product-reviews/B07H6P59YS/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Not fast, on par with other drives of similar price.
"Important note up front: This is not the Lexar you might remember from a
few years ago. That brand shuttered operations and the name was sold to a
Chinese company called Longsys. Longsys is manufacturing this drive and
unfortunately doesn't provide much info as to what is actually inside of
it. It likely is running cheap TLC flash memory but that is merely
speculation.

Performance seems to be on par with other drives at this price point. I
have attached my crystaldiskmark results to this review. Random writes seem
to do better vs. random reads. For consumers running with traditional
mechanical drives upgrading to an SSD like this is a huge performance boost.

My only knock against it is the build quality of the casing. It's very
lightweight plastic vs. what Sandisk uses in their similar priced and
performing SSDs. But if you're installing this inside a computer that
likely doesn't matter.

Long term reliability is unknown but I'll update this review if I encounter
any issues in the future. Longsys has been at this for awhile so I'm
anticipating about the same long-term reliability of similar drives at this
price point.

If I was in the market for a drive I'd probably go with a Sandisk given
their more established presence here in the United States. Sandisk's drives
cost the same or less as these Lexar models.
*Lon J. Seidman*
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/amzn1.account.AFZUOFUOCZ34A2VTM5QPQ7ZEE65Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_gw_btm?ie=UTF8>
"