[GTALUG] Custom build: Which case?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 20 17:20:54 EDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 04:16:40PM -0400, Nicholas Krause via talk wrote:
> Speed wise yes but what about 100 watts of power. So missing that the power
> increase
>
> is from 5 watts to 100 which can make charging or using high power devices
> possible.

I haven't seen a motherboard that allowed that.  It wouldn't make sense
for a motherboard to try routing 100W of power through itself to a
USB power.  Even a PCIe slow is only allowed 75W.

100W also requires 20V at 5A, while PCs only have access to a decent
supply of 12V, so that means at most 60W.  It also means adding all the
circuitry for voltage swiching to the USB port on the motherboard.

For a motherboard it doesn't make sense to support any more than 5V 2A
at best.  Everything else is too complicated for very infrequent use.

USB-PD seems to be a thing for chargers and docking stations only and
hence the adapter from silverstone is perfectly good the way it is.
I don't want to have to leave my PC on to charge a device.  I have
dedicated USB chargers for that kind of thing that are actually good
at it.

--
Len Sorensen