[GTALUG] Custom build: Which case?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:51:36 EDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:51 PM William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I built all of my computers, last one being a basic i3-4170.  There is
> one part that I was never satisfied with, and that is "computer case".
> Selections at Canada Computers and Newegg are disappointing.  If you
> were building a full-tower computer, which case would you buy?  And
> where?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm - - - my beef is that case design seems to convey that
the case is a work of art, absolute male bovine excrement, I waant a functional
box but I hardly ever look at the thing. That means that I don't want
blinky lights,
that pretty glass covers really aren't necessary (unless they help
cooling - - -
which is very doubtful) and functional is what I most desire.

I tend to look across that funny line in the sand and also check out what is
available south of us and that seems to open up some options.

Rather than giving a specific case - - - I'll offer my methodology.

1. how many hard drives (size of drives is sometimes important)
2. how many gpus (size is very important and some newer cases offer
vertical mounting)
3. the particular mobo I'm specing for (some variation here that needs
to be accomodated)
4. fan placement

I prefer cases w/o fans as I would be using noctua fans as I like
their lower noise,
very high air flow and very long life.

Then I would be looking for a case that fills my needs list. (Most
offerings have too much bling!)

HTH